Local Juniors Win Home and Away

Several years ago a coach from downstate was exiting my club at the end of a tournament and said to me “I beat your boys Peter Green.”  A year or so later I was able to say to him “I beat your boys.”  Thanks to Olivia Dartawan we can also say “I beat your girls.”  This past weekend Sportime Schenectady hosted a Level 5 Girls 14 and Under Tournament.  Level 5’s are among the highest level of Sectional Tournament there is and Olivia won the Singles event and was runner up in the doubles.  “It felt good to win a tournament at my home club.  I was happy and I had a lot of fun doing it.” (Olivia Dartawan).

Rajeev Rai travelled to Boston to play a Level 5 Boys Tournament there.  Rajeev was also a winner.  “It was not my first time there, but it was the first time I won.  I knew how they played and I enjoyed beating these kids who I had a tough time with before.” (Rajeev Rai)

Meanwhile Samantha Ostrander played her first tournament since March.  Sam told me “being out of the sport for so long has helped me realize it’s truly my passion.  Samantha is coming off an injury.  She returned to competitive play by winning a Level 6 Girls 18 Tournament at Elevate in Liverpool, NY.      

It’s great to see so many of our local players doing well in these tournaments.  It shows how far tennis in the Northern Region has come in the past few years and I see a great future for Northern Region junior tennis.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our trip to the U.S. Open Qualifiers

Local Juniors go on the Road

August Ten and Unders